Going Ductless for Home Heating and Cooling: Is It for You?
Ductless mini splits are becoming more and more popular in residential homes, particularly here in Arizona. We install ENERGY STAR-certified ductless heat pumps in Scottsdale, AZ and the surrounding areas, so we’ve seen first-hand the major advantages that they offer homeowners. Ductless heating and cooling units offer unique features that may be right for you as well.
If you’re considering going ductless, below are some important facts about these systems to keep in mind. Of course, all of us at Magic Touch Mechanical are always available to answer any additional questions you may have!
Ductless Systems Are Available as Heat Pumps or Air Conditioners
Ductless mini splits are available both as “cooling only” air conditioners as well as heat pumps. This means that a single unit installation can provide your home with both heating and cooling. If you’re considering replacing your heating and air conditioning system, a ductless mini split heat pump should be on your list as one of the types of comfort system you should consider.
We also handle standard ducted heat pump installation in Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tempe, AZ, as well as nearby cities. No matter what type of HVAC System you need, Magic Touch can help!
Ductless Heat Pumps Provide Precise Zone Control
You can heat and cool rooms in your home individually with a ductless system. This is called zone control. Standard AC’s and heaters that use ductwork can be equipped with zone control, but it isn’t built-in; it requires retrofitting the ductwork with dampers and installing new thermostats and sensors. But with ductless mini splits, zone control is automatic! Each of the different air handlers placed around the home can be operated separately from the others. You only need to run the air handlers in the rooms that need comfort.
You Can Expect Significant Energy Savings with a Ductless System
According to the ENERGY STAR Program, ductless systems can reduce cooling costs by 30% compared to a standard air conditioning system. This is because ductless mini splits use more advanced compressors with variable “stages” or “speeds”, something only available in a few very high-end conventional heat pump and air conditioning units. The news is even better for heating costs, where an ENERGY STAR-certified ductless system can reduce heating costs by up to 60% compared to conventional electric heating systems.
Are you looking for more ways to save on your bills? Arrange for us to come to your home and perform an energy audit in Gilbert, AZ, and nearby areas for only $99 – and we’ll show you why our clients save an average of 185% of what the utilities estimate!
So What Kinds of Homes Are Best Suited to Going Ductless?
There are many advantages with ductless mini splits, that most conventional air conditioning systems can’t provide. Here are residential applications that can benefit from “going ductless”:
- Homes with vaulted ceilings or flat roofs with no, or limited attic space that don’t have adequate ducts or the space to retrofit them. If your house has to rely on space heaters and window air conditioners, to help cool and heat certain rooms, going ductless is a great choice!
- Homes that have power-robbing electrical heating systems and inefficient air conditioners.
- Homes with rooms that are frequently empty. This is where the zone control advantage is especially helpful. Multi-zoned ductless heat pumps can heat or cool only the room(s) you are currently or mostly occupy.
- Homes with add-on rooms, sun-rooms aka Arizona rooms, or for people that have additions or renovations planned. It’s many times significantly more cost-efficient to outfit the new spaces with a ductless ac system, than to retrofit or replace an already existing HVAC system that may not otherwise require replacement yet.
- A home that hasn’t been built yet. If you’re planning on building a new home, going with a ductless mini split gives you more design freedom because you won’t have to worry about ducts, not to mention precise comfort in every room.
Magic Touch Mechanical recommends Mitsubishi Ductless Mini-Splits in most applications and are a Mitsubishi Certified Diamond Dealer. What that means to you is; when installed by Magic Touch the standard 7-year manufacturer warranty is automatically upgraded to 12-years! That’s a 12-year warranty on all parts including the compressor – one of the best manufacturer warranties in the industry.
If you think your ductless mini-split means you have to have equipment hanging on your wall, think again! There are many types of Mitsubishi Ductless Mini-Split air handlers available. Give us a call today and one of our friendly customer service agents will be more than happy to schedule your free home assessment and no-obligation proposal!
Request service today with Magic Touch Mechanical. We offer the finest in comfort services to Phoenix, AZ.